Friday, November 26, 2004

Annette Russell - Time Suspended - 17 November to 5 December 2004



"Continuing with my interest in the potential of the everyday. I have used cloth and my drawings of cloth as source material and a slow exposure camera as my paintbrush. Exploring ideas of the real and the abstract and the point at which they meet

The early images in the series are still very connected to the form of the shirts they came from. The final group has become something entirely of their own –suggesting landscape, moving closer to abstraction.

A painter who takes photographs, I am concerned with the formal elements of a painting – spatial relationships, composition, and colour. The boundary between what is a drawing, a photograph, painting and how they feed each other in my process.

Pinhole Photography continues to fascinate me with its “accidents” of time. Under or over exposure to the graduations of white to black in charcoal has produced a surprising range of colour. The images are strangely harmonious and almost old fashioned in their palette. Intuitively where I point my camera, the time of day, which compositions are saved from the cutting room floor, combined with the unpredictability of the tools I use, mean these elements are equal partners in my work.

As Degas said “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see” "

W: http://www.groundfloorgallery.com/